The Preparatory Department for Foreign Citizens
of Kyiv National Linguistic University
The Preparatory Department for Foreign Citizens of Kyiv National Linguistic University (KNLU) was established in 1979. The annual enrollment of foreign students is more than 100 people. Students from the People’s Republic of China, the Republic of Turkey (Türkiye), the Republic of Korea, Japan, Western Europe and the Middle East, the United States of America, and other countries study at the department. More than 3,000 foreign students have graduated from the Preparatory Department for Foreign Citizens for 43 years. Graduates of the Preparatory Department for Foreign Citizens continue their studies at various universities of Ukraine in the field of philology, international relationship, economics, medicine, architecture, painting, theatre and film directing, etc. Teachers of the department are highly qualified specialists who have extensive experience in teaching foreign students.
The mission of the Preparatory Department for Foreign Citizens is to teach foreign citizens the Ukrainian language, and to prepare them for entering higher education institutions of Ukraine.
Admission of students to the Preparatory Department for Foreign Citizens is based on an individual official invitation issued by KNLU. Training at the Preparatory Department is carried out under an agreement concluded between a foreigner and KNLU. The form of education at the Preparatory Department for Foreign Citizens is full-time, the duration of study is 10 months (from the 1st of September to the 30th of June with a break for New Year winter holidays). After successful completion of the Preparatory Department for Foreign Citizens, students receive a Graduate Certificate of the Preparatory Department of Kyiv National Linguistic University.
During the academic year, students of the Preparatory Department for Foreign Citizens study the Ukrainian language, a foreign language (English or another one at the choice of group), and other disciplines that may be useful for the admission to Ukrainian universities. Classes are held in the academic building No. 3 of KNLU (https://goo.gl/maps/1jt4W7v2MyCuiKdd6). Students of the Preparatory Department are provided with all the necessary educational literature. The academic group consists of 12 students, the composition of the group is international.
The study of the Ukrainian language continues in extracurricular time: tours of Kyiv and historical places of Ukraine, visits to museums, theatres, exhibition halls contribute to the effective mastery of the Ukrainian language.
Apply for an invitation to study and an entry visa
To apply for an invitation to study at KNLU, the applicant must submit their documents to the Selection Board of foreign citizens for studying at KNLU:
- a copy of the passport (the page with a photo), translated into Ukrainian in Ukraine and certified by a Ukrainian notary;
- a copy of the document on education with grades (scores), translated into Ukrainian in Ukraine and certified by a Ukrainian notary (if available);
- written consent to the processing of the personal data.
In case of submission of documents by the applicant’s representative, he must issue a notarized power of attorney to receive an invitation to study.
The Selection Board of foreign citizens for studying at KNLU within five days considers the applicant’s documents and provides an answer about the possibility of study and in case of a positive decision prepares an invitation to study.
When submitting all the above documents to the Selection Board of foreign citizens for studying at KNLU, the applicant or his representative must indicate the country in which he will receive a student visa.
After receiving the invitation to study, the applicant or his / her representative must pay for visa support. Visa support can be paid at any department of a bank in Ukraine.
To obtain an entry visa to study in Ukraine, the applicant must apply to the Embassy of Ukraine in any country with an invitation issued by KNLU and all necessary documents required by the Embassy.
Issuance of an entry visa takes about one month, so to receive an invitation to study, you must submit the above documents to the Selection Board of foreign citizens for studying at KNLU no later than two months before the beginning of education. After receiving a “D” visa, the representative of the applicant who will meet him must inform the employee of the Preparatory Department about the date of arrival of the applicant in Kyiv and the flight number in person, providing a photo of the invitation and his passport.
List of documents required for foreign citizens to enter the Preparatory
Department for Foreign Citizens
- The original invitation to study, issued by the university.
- Original and two copies of the previous education document* (if available), translated into Ukrainian with notarized translation.
- The original and two notarized copies of the document of supplement* with information on academic success, translated into Ukrainian with a notarized translation (if available).
- Copy of temporary residence permit in Ukraine (if available).
- 5 (five) copies of the passport translated into Ukrainian with notarized translation (pages with photo and visa).
- 12 photos 5 x 4.5 cm in size (colour, matte).
* The documents referred to in paragraphs 2 and 3 must be certified in the country of issue in the manner officially used in that country for such certification, and legalized by the relevant foreign institution of Ukraine, unless otherwise provided by international treaties of Ukraine.
Foreign students must have a health insurance policy for the entire period of study. The cost of a health insurance policy is determined by the agreement with the insurance company.
Temporary residence permit in Ukraine
To obtain a Temporary Residence Permit in Ukraine, a foreign citizen must submit the following documents to the employee of the International Relations Department within three days of arriving in Ukraine:
- Passport of a foreigner with a visa “D”, unless otherwise provided by law and international treaties of Ukraine, and copies of pages with personal data and visa.
- Translation into Ukrainian of a page of a foreigner’s passport with personal data, certified by a notary or translation centre.
- Receipt of payment of state duty.
- Two 3.5 x 4.5 cm photos (colour, on matte paper).
- A copy of the health insurance policy for the entire period of study.
Temporary residence permit in Ukraine is issued for the period of study.
If the information in the documents referred to in subparagraphs 2–3 has changed during the period the temporary residence permit, such documents shall be submitted within 10 days from the date of such changes to the employee of the International Relations Department.
After receiving the temporary residence permit, the foreigner must register the place of residence within 10 days, and in case of its change reregister in the manner prescribed by the Law of Ukraine “On Freedom of Movement and Free Choice of Residence in Ukraine”.
After the end of the period of study in the absence of grounds for the extension of the temporary residence permit or expulsion from the university, a foreign citizen is obliged to:
1) within seven days to provide the employee of the Dean’s Office of the Faculty of Oriental and Slavic Philology with the temporary residence permit in Ukraine for deregistration at the place of residence;
2) submit the temporary residence permit in Ukraine to the employee of the International Relations Department;
3) receive the “Decision” on cancellation of the Certificate for temporary residence in Ukraine in CMUDMS in Kyiv and Kyiv region;
4) leave the territory of Ukraine.
The tuition fee for students of the Preparatory Department for Foreign Citizens in the first semester of the 2022 / 2023 academic year is UAH 39,684.00.
Accommodation in the university dormitory
Students of the Preparatory Department for Foreign Citizens live in dormitory No. 3 in triple and quad rooms.
To settle in a dormitory, a foreign student needs:
- Sign a residence agreement (academic building No. 3, room 910).
- Pay for accommodation.
- Get a warrant for the settlement (academic building No. 3, room 910).
- Get a pass to the dormitory (dormitory No. 3).
Address of the dormitory: 8/13 Feodosiіska Street, Kyiv.
Phone number: (044) 525-68-65, (044) 525-68-67
Information about the dormitory
Dormitory No. 3 (https://goo.gl/maps/3j9Jg6bSnM8cvLFS8).
Number of floors: 9
Housing system: block, on the floor – 8 rooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 kitchen, hot and cold water supply.
Rooms: triple and quad rooms.
Total number of rooms: 70.
Contacts of the Preparatory Department for Foreign Citizens
Address: academic building No. 3 of Kyiv National Linguistic University, 9th floor, room 910 or 8th floor, room 804 (Dean’s Office), 5/17 Laboratory Street, Kyiv.
Phone number: (044) 521-61-54, (044) 521-60-23